St Andrew’s Church and the St Andrew’s Centre is built upon land generously provided by The Late H.H. Sheikh Zayed bin Sultan Al Nahyan. The original gift of land on the Corniche was made in 1966 to Dr. Campbell Mcinnes, the Anglican Archbishop in Jerusalem, whose Diocese included the Gulf.
The first Anglican service held in Abu Dhabi was on 27th December 1958 at the Political Resident’s house and the original St Andrew’s Church on the Corniche was consecrated in February 1968.
The move to the present site was made in 1984. The church was consecrated on St Andrew’s Day by the second Bishop of the Diocese of Cyprus and the Gulf, Harry Moore, afterwards the General Secretary of CMS, now retired. St Andrew’s is thus an Anglican foundation and it is its special privilege to share its facilities with many other other churches and groups from a wide range of denominations – and encompassing many different traditions and languages. The St Andrew’s Centre is entirely self-supporting and is managed by the Chaplain and the Church Council.
St Andrew’s Church uses the basis of the World Council of Churches as the standard for acceptance of churches, fellowships and groups applying for the use of its facilities.